The 2017-18 school year is over, but the postseason awards haven't stopped flowing in.
The Greater Wichita Sports Commission has announced its finalists for the 21st annual Greater Wichita Sports Banquet. Awards include the Barry Sanders Male Athlete of the Year and the Lynette Woodard Female Athlete of the Year. Awards will also be given to the area's top junior college, college and professional male and female athletes of the year.
Here are the finalists:
Barry Sanders Male Athlete of the Year
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
- Nick Channel - Kapaun Mt. Carmel, Football
- Hunter O'Toole - Arkansas City, Baseball/Basketball
- Blake Sullivan - Goddard, Football
Lynette Woodard Female Athlete of the Year
- Sydni Hawkins - Southeast, Softball
- Ashton McCorry - Bishop Carroll, Basketball/Soccer
- Taylor Robertson - McPherson, Basketball
Junior college male athlete of the year
- Jake Hawker - Cowley
- Connor Hurst - Butler
Junior college female athlete of the year
- Thais Lindemayer Gomes - Cowley
- Kenzi Young - Butler
College male athlete of the year
- Jordan Murdock - Friends
- Noel Torres - Newman
- Hunter Veith - Wichita State
College female athlete of the year
- Chelsea Baker - Friends
- Emily Heibert - Wichita State
- Amy Strath - Newman
Professional athlete of the year
- Matt Chavez - Wingnuts
- Ralph Cuddemi - Thunder
Bob Hanson, Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission president/CEO, said in a release the commission is excited for the banquet, which is scheduled June 28 at the Hyatt Regency hotel in Wichita.