Varsity Kansas

Boys soccer: Carroll edges Andover for third in 5A

The Bishop Carroll boys soccer team is no stranger to overtime periods. Taylor White is no stranger to successful penalty kicks.

That familiarity paid dividends when White drove home a penalty kick in the fourth overtime Saturday to give the Eagles a 2-1 win over Andover in the third-place game of the Class 5A tournament at the College Boulevard Activity Center in Olathe.

The win was Bishop Carroll’s first state tournament victory in school history.

“It’s the first trophy we’ve ever brought back home, so we’ll take it,” Carroll coach Mike Skaggs said. “Andover is a great team and Chris Lemons is a great coach. We knew it was going to be a battle.

“I told the kids before the game that it’s not guaranteed that you’ll ever get back to state so it means something to leave here with a win.”

The Eagles (13-4-4) and Trojans (16-4-1) played through a pair of 10-minute periods and were halfway through their second five-minute period when Andover was whistled for a hand ball in the Carroll box.

White — Carroll’s leading scorer, who was perfect for the season on penalty kicks — stepped up and sent a shot over the head of Andover keeper Bryce Kinsey for the win.

“I was just ready to put it in and end the season on a high note,” White said. “I’ve had to take five PKs this year and hadn’t missed. I knew exactly what I had to do to and it.”

Andover took an early lead when Connor Hernandez finished on a ball in the box with 29:07 to play in the first half.

Carroll tied it nine minutes into the second half when freshman Skyler Stuckey snuck a nice shot off the far post.

Class 6A — Wichita East was not able to overcome an early barrage of goals by Blue Valley Northwest in the Class 6A third-place game.

The Blue Aces ended up falling to the Huskies 7-0 at Hummer Sports Park in Topeka.

Coach Dylan Gruntzel was proud of his team’s effort to get to this position for the first time.

“The two teams we played go to state year in and year out,” Gruntzel said.“To come in and play these opponents and not quit regardless of the score was good.”

The Huskies played most of their starters for the first half putting up three goals. They added four more in second half. Trevor Kerns had a hat trick.

For Gruntzel having this experience will hopefully be something his team can build on for next year. Still the Blue Aces can hang their hats on some milestones they made.

Gruntzel hopes the postseason experience pays off next season.

“To win City (League) outright in Wichita is a huge accomplishment,” Gruntzel said. “To get to state you’ve got to get experience and we’ve never been here before. None of us knew what to expect, but now we know. Hopefully this is one of many trips in the future.”