By Taylor Eldridge
A little surprised both games became blow-outs, but Collegiate imposed its will in both games to win 59-33 (girls) and 91-50 (boys). I was really impressed with the atmosphere at Haven, however. Give them credit, it was loud and they stayed til the end. Love high school crowds like that.
Collegiate had a distinct height advantage in the girl’s game and took advantage with Sadie Clark and Ashia Woods combining for 28 points and 17 rebounds. In the boy’s game, Collegiate left Haven shell-shocked to begin the game. WCS jumped out 23-4 and scored 77 points in the first 20 minutes of the game.
Of note, Missouri women’s basketball coach Cindy Stein was in attendance checking out Woods (16 points, 8 rebounds, 4 steals). Click the jump to read game analysis and discussion questions regarding Collegiate.GIRL’S GAME: Collegiate 59, Haven 33
How far can this Collegiate team go?Last season the Spartans lost in the Class 3A state championship game. They returned plenty, including centerpiece Ashia Woods and its glue player Kamri Phox, making them a heavy favorite to return to the title game. But an early season defeat against Andover Central put some doubt around the team.
I saw them in that Andover Central loss and tonight they showed some tremendous strides. Everyone knows how good Woods is, so I won’t go into that. Where this team starts is with Phox at the point. She’s the coaches’ daughter, so she has a high IQ in the game and when she’s dialed in, then Collegiate is an awfully good team.
Another key component this year will be Sadie Clark, the post opposite of Woods. Clark is more of a traditional post, able to score with her back to the basket and rebound effectively. She’s a pretty steady player that Collegiate can rely on.
So the Spartans have a pretty reliable three in Woods, Phox and Clark, I think that is established. What can make this team an elite one is when either Mariah Green, Sydney Lower or Kati Broberg is firing from the outside. Now they’re still transitioning a bit to playing major minutes on varsity, but all three can knock down the three-point shot. This is the X-factor, if you want to call it that.
Collegiate got off to a nice 9-1 start and led 22-9 after the first quarter, 36-18 at half and 50-29 after three over a good, yet under-sized Haven team. Collegiate used its height advantage to win the rebounding battle 38-25 and grabbed 19 offensive rebounds, easing a concern of Phox’s from the previous game. The Spartans did a little bit of everything – scoring down low, shooting from outside and playing outstanding defense.
Defense is really where it all starts for this team. They have a pretty solid starting five that can match up with a variety of teams. I say if Collegiate keeps steadily improving its defense, it will take pressure off Woods, which also takes pressure of her supporting cast, and make it a favorite to return to the title game.
Keep in mind, Missouri women’s basketball coach Cindy Stein was there watching Woods. She definitely won’t be the first coach to stop by a Collegiate game this season. Check out her and everyone else’s line in my box score:
(5) Kamri Phox*3-50-00-06112441
(2) Mariah Green*2-70-11-15123403
(32) Kati Broberg*3-82-70-08134131
(23) Sadie Clark*5-70-02-212549103
(34) Ashia Woods*7-152-50-216268245
(3) Sydney Lower2-101-50-05000124
(33) Molly Holden0-00-00-00213102
(21) Emma Horton0-20-00-00101001
(1) Tiff Massey1-21-10-03213001
(11) Keli Dunn0-10-12-22000000
(12) Kelsie Cole1-20-00-02000000
(15) Jerica Skar0-20-10-00000100
(4) Veronica Taylor0-10-00-00101011
(44) Haleigh Courtney0-00-00-00000010
FG%1st H15-3050%2nd H9-3228%Game24-6239%
3 PT%1st H3-1225%2nd H3-933%Game6-2129%
FT%1st H3-560%2nd H2-2100%Game5-771%
(10) Tessa Reynolds*2-62-60-06011114
(3) Taylor Boese*2-60-01-25022125
(2) Sage Ezell*0-20-03-63426020
(22) Noell Nordstedt1-40-11-23022009
(32) Sheridan Stefanski*2-40-02-26022022
(11) Rachel Miller2-50-00-04022224
(5) Ashley Rogers1-40-22-24000026
(44) Claire Foraker0-00-00-00000001
(33) Kristen Hatchel0-00-00-00022000
(23) Paige Chamberlain0-00-01-21011002
(30) Holly Laughlin0-00-01-21022000
(31) Elizabeth Preisser0-00-00-00000000
FG%1st H4-1625%2nd H6-1540%Game10-3132%
3 PT%1st H1-425%2nd H1-520%Game2-922%
FT%1st H9-1464%2nd H2-450%Game11-1861%
Points In Paint: Collegiate 22, Haven 12
Points In Transition: Collegiate 13, Haven 11
Points Off Turnovers: Collegiate 20, Haven 15