* The drive to Manhattan, which I made earlier today for K-State’s football opener against North Dakota State, is one of my favorites. I like coming up through Abilene on Highway 15. There’s just something about driving through Abilene that soothes me. I think it’s a combination of the historic, tree-lined homes and the Dwight Eisenhower presidential library. Abilene is one of my favorite Kansas towns. I think the fine folks of Abilene will enjoy knowing that.
* I like the Cardinals’ acquisition of reliever John Axford from Milwaukee. Axford was a beast for the Brewers in 2010 and 2011. He’s still relatively young (30) and every team needs bullpen help at this late stage of the season. Axford costs the Cardinals a player to be named later. In a tight pennant race with the Pirates and Reds, this move was a no-brainer. If Axford doesn’t work out, the Cardinals non-tender him at the end of the season. And that’s that.
* I know it’s football season now and everybody is excited. But let’s not forget about baseball. OK? Please? The final month of the baseball season is wonderful and it has a little more meaning around here since the Kansas City Royals are still on the cusp of contention.
* “Ray Donovan” has at least two “did that really happen?” moments per episode. I love this show but I’m also prone to hyperbole. So when I say that this HBO show is in the same league as “The Sopranos,” should I be wheeled away to a rubber room? Tell me.
* “Dexter” and “Breaking Bad,” two of my all-time favorites, are nearing their end. So while I greatly anticipate each episode, I’m also sad with each episode’s passing. If you knew the extent of my emotional ups and downs, you’d be surprised.
* So Miley Cyrus used to be a good little girl and now she’s a risque young woman? OK, can we move on now?
* One of the perks of covering games is getting to see some of the friends I’ve made in the business during the past four decades. Tonight, I’ve already talked to Ken Corbitt of the Topeka Capital-Journal. C-J columnist Kevin Haskin has been a buddy for years and Mark Janssen, who works for one of the dot.coms (I can’t keep them all straight) is another guy I like. We’re all veteran scribes and a dying breed. Not literally, of course. I hope.
* I would like to see the movies “We’re the Millers” and “Blue Jasmine,” during this Labor Day weekend.
* The League 42 project with which I’m involved – the goal is to give kids who otherwise might not get the chance to play baseball and opportunity to do so – is the most rewarding thing I’ve had the pleasure of being a part of. We have an incredible group of volunteers who are dedicated to making this a reality. Please check out our League 42 Facebook page if you’re curious to know more.
* I think Kansas State will beat North Dakota State tonight (the game starts in a couple of hours). But I think it could be close. I suspect the Wildcats will need a few weeks to hit their stride. Final score: 24-14.
* Gotta keep it relatively short today. Have a great Labor Day weekend. I might check back on the blog during the weekend for more musings. But musings can’t be forced. Please remember that.