Former New York Jets strong safety Rashad Washington has signed a 2011 contract with the Wild indoor team. Washington, from Southeast High and Kansas State, played 47 games for the Jets from 2004 to 2007.
* No. 21 Utah will try to extend the longest bowl winning streak in the nation to 10 at the Las Vegas Bowl on Dec. 22. Utah's opponent has yet to be announced.
* San Diego State has accepted an invitation to play in the hometown Poinsettia Bowl on Dec. 23 against Navy.
* Air Force will play in the Independence Bowl on Dec. 27 against an Atlantic Coast Conference team.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Longtime coach and instructor Goose Doughty will be inducted into the U.S. Tennis Association Missouri Valley section Hall of Fame on Saturday in Overland Park. Doughty, 76, is a former high school basketball and tennis coach who for 47 years has taught children to play the game at the McAdams Park courts that now bear his name.
* U.S. Open champion Kim Clijsters is the WTA's player of the year. Clijsters won five tournaments, including the season-ending WTA Championships and her second consecutive title at Flushing Meadows. She was player of the year in 2005.
Tim Thomas stopped Scott Hartnell on a second-period penalty shot and finished with 41 saves for his NHL-leading fifth shutout of the season in the Boston Bruins' 3-0 victory over the Philadelphia Flyers.... Dustin Penner scored at 2:28 of overtime in Edmonton's comeback 4-3 victory over Montreal.... Semyon Varlamov made 37 saves for his fourth straight victory as Washington beat St. Louis 4-1.... Longtime Columbus nemesis Steve Sullivan scored the only goal in the shootout for Nashville in a 4-3 victory.... Scottie Upshall scored twice for Phoenix in a 4-2 win over Minnesota.
Russell Westbrook capped a 38-point, 15-rebound, nine-assist performance by scoring all of Oklahoma City's 13 points in the third overtime, and the Thunder overcame the absence of injured Kevin Durant with a 123-120 victory over the New Jersey Nets.
Jeff Green added a career-high 37 points as the Thunder outlasted New Jersey in a game in which the Nets tied the score at the end of regulation on a running 26-foot three-pointer by Anthony Morrow, then blew leads of six points in the first overtime and three points with 4.6 seconds to go in the second when Stephen Graham fouled Green on a three-point attempt.
* Kevin Martin scored 22 points and Shane Battier added 11 of his 17 in the final three minutes to lift Houston over Los Angeles 109-99 for the Lakers' fourth straight loss.... Jameer Nelson scored 24 points and Orlando dominated the paint in a 107-78 win over Chicago, spoiling the Bulls debut of forward Carlos Boozer. Boozer played his first game of the season after missing all of Chicago's preseason games plus the first 15 of the regular season after breaking the fifth metatarsal in his right hand.... Ray Allen missed his first five three-point attempts before hitting one with 10.7 seconds left to help Boston hold off a late charge by Portland, 99-95 It was Boston's fifth straight victory, and the fifth straight loss for Portland.... LeBron James scored 18 points as Cleveland beat Detroit 97-72.... Al Horford scored 20 points and Atlanta beat Memphis 112-109 after learning star Joe Johnson will have elbow surgery and miss four to six weeks.