Other Sports


Andover boys coach Jason Stucky resigned last Wednesday after three seasons. Stucky and athletic director Gary Merritt would not specify a reason for the resignation. Merritt said Ryan Harshaw has replaced Stucky. Harshaw was an Andover assistant in 2009-10 but wasn't coaching with the Trojans this season. Andover's first game is Dec. 7 against Goddard.

* Russell Westbrook scored 12 of his 25 points during a decisive 14-0 run late in the fourth quarter and also had 11 assists as the Oklahoma City Thunder rallied to beat the New Orleans Hornets 95-89.


Hunting is expected to resume at the Quivira National Wildlife Refuge on Wednesday morning. All hunting at the refuge was stopped Oct. 25 because of the presence of endangered whooping cranes.

Dan Severson, refuge manager, said no whoopers have been seen at Quivira in several days. It's believed no more whoopers will be migrating through Kansas this fall.

This year an estimated 31 whoopers were observed on or near the refuge. Wildlife viewers reported good sightings of the birds through Nov. 24.


Emporia State senior outside hitter Brittney Miller has been named an NCAA Division II All-American by the American Volleyball Coaches Association. Miller led the MIAA in kills and hitting percentage this season, and finished her career with 1,357 kills, fourth all-time at Emporia State.

Teammate Ting Liu, the all-time assists leader in both the MIAA and at ESU, was a third-team selection at setter. Liu, also a senior, was a second-team All-American in 2008.

* Kansas senior outside hitter Karina Garlington was named to All-Big 12 honorable mention, the first Jayhawk to be on an All-Big 12 team since 2005.


The NFL fined Houston's Andre Johnson and Tennessee's Cortland Finnegan $25,000 each but is not suspending them for their fight in Sunday's game.

The league handed out its punishment Monday, one day after the Texans' star wide receiver and Titans cornerback slugged it out in the fourth quarter of Houston's 20-0 victory.

Finnegan set off the brawl by jabbing at Johnson's neck and face mask at the line. Johnson ripped off Finnegan's helmet and landed at least two punches to Finnegan's head and neck. The two spun each other, and Finnegan tore off Johnson's helmet before players and referees intervened.