The No. 10 Washburn women are the second seed in the NCAA Division II regional at Canyon, Texas, this week. Washburn will face Central Missouri, the team it beat in Sunday's MIAA Tournament final, in Friday's first round. Emporia State is the fourth seed and will meet Tarleton State.
* Vince Carter had 25 points, Dwight Howard finished with 15 points and 16 rebounds and Orlando beat the Lakers 96-94, LA's first three-game losing streak of the Pau Gasol-Kobe Bryant era. Bryant's 20-footer to tie at the end fell short.... Thaddeus Young scored a career-high 32 points in Philadelphia's 114-101 win over Toronto.... Detroit ended a six-game losing streak by beating Houston 110-107 in overtime.... Ray Allen's 25-footer with 17 seconds to play put Boston ahead of Washington for good, winning 86-83.
Novak Djokovic withstood 24 aces and outlasted John Isner 7-5, 3-6, 6-3, 6-7(6), 6-4, giving Serbia a clinching 3-1 lead against an American team looking for its 33rd Davis Cup title. In the last rubber, Sam Querrey beat Viktor Troicki 7-5, 6-2 to make the final score 3-2. It's the first time since 2005 the Americans were eliminated in the first round.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Wichita Eagle
* No. 21 Oklahoma defeated the Wichita State men 7-0 Sunday in Norman, Okla. WSU junior Adrian Chermaci dropped his first match.
* Wichita State's women defeated Denver 7-0 Sunday.
Wichita State fell to 8-8 after an 8-0 loss to Texas Tech in Lubbock.
Royals third baseman Alex Gordon is expected to be sidelined for 3-4 weeks with a broken right thumb. Manager Trey Hillman said Gordon probably will miss Kansas City's April 5 opener against Detroit. Gordon was injured when he slid headfirst into second base on an attempted steal in Saturday's spring training game.
* Dodgers catcher Russell Martin is expected to be sidelined for 4-6 weeks after an MRI revealed a pulled groin. Martin likely will miss Los Angeles' regular-season opener. A.J. Ellis, who has 13 career major league at-bats, will get the bulk of the catching duties with Martin out.
* Maize product Jake Marasco had four hits and scored three runs in Kansas' 15-7 win over visiting Iowa.
* Kansas State scored four seventh-inning runs to beat Harvard 6-1 in DeLand, Fla., finishing a 3-0 weekend.
* Travis Whipple and Dorain Williams had four hits for Emporia State in its 13-7 victory at Fort Hays State.
The NFL has suspended free-agent nose tackle Jason Ferguson for the first eight games of next season for violating league policy on performance-enhancing substances. Ferguson sat out the latter part of last season with the Miami Dolphins with a quadriceps injury and underwent surgery in December.
Edmonton's Jeff Deslauriers made 22 saves for his third shutout, beating New Jersey 2-0.... Evgeni Malkin scored the go-ahead goal in Pittsburgh's 2-1 win over visiting Boston.... Jarome Iginla's hat trick helped Calgary over Minnesota 5-2.... Andrew Ladd had a hat trick in Chicago's 5-2 loss to Detroit.... Patrick Kaleta's rebound goal got Buffalo past the Rangers 2-1 in overtime.