Kasha Kolb's two-hitter helped Wichita State defeat Boise State 7-1 Friday in the Texas Tech tournament. Jamie Hull hit a three-run homer for WSU (7-6).
Wichita State's women lost 6-1 to No. 36 Oklahoma on Friday in Norman, Okla. Shockers Stephanie Dalmacio and Delia Damaschin teamed to defeat the Sooners' 31st-ranked doubles team.
* Former Southeast player Nate Kirk will be in Wichita today as part of the Illinois-Chicago men's team that will take on Wichita State. Kirk is the team's No. 4 singles player. The noon match is at the Coleman Tennis Complex.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
* Novak Djokovic struggled past Sam Querrey 6-2, 7-6 (4), 2-6, 6-3 for Serbia to take a 2-0 lead against the United States in their Davis Cup first-round tie in Belgrade. In the opening singles, Serbia's Viktor Troicki beat John Isner 7-6 (4), 6-7 (5), 7-5, 6-4.
Cy Young Award winner Zack Greinke pitched three scoreless innings Friday and the Kansas City beat Texas 4-2. Greinke threw 27 pitches, 19 for strikes. He struck out three and walked none.
Anthony Kim and Camilo Villegas lead at the midpoint of the Honda Classic, tied at 8-under 132 and one shot ahead of Vijay Singh in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla. Villegas made four straight birdies on his second nine.
* Bob Tway, Chein Soon Lu and Mark Wiebe shot 6-under 65s to share the first-round lead in the Toshiba Classic, leaving Champions Tour newcomer Fred Couples a stroke back at Newport Beach (Calif.) Country Club.
Julius Peppers is no longer a Carolina Panther. The five-time Pro Bowl defensive end and top free agent prize agreed to a six-year deal with the Chicago Bears.
* Atlanta agreed to terms on a six-year deal Friday with free-agent cornerback Dunta Robinson, who had 13 interceptions in the last six seasons with Houston.... The Baltimore Ravens traded for Arizona receiver Anquan Boldin, giving up a third- and fourth-round pick in next month's draft. Baltimore also got a fifth-round pick from Arizona.... Miami released two linebackers and began courting a third, Karlos Dansby. The Dolphins terminated the contracts of disgruntled outside linebacker Joey Porter, inside linebacker Akin Ayodele and free safety Gibril Wilson.... Cleveland Pro Bowl return specialist Josh Cribbs signed a new three-year contract.... The Denver Broncos are bringing back J.J. Arrington, the tailback who sat out last season with a right knee injury.
Montreal Canadiens forward Maxim Lapierre has been suspended four games for a late hit on San Jose Sharks forward Scott Nichol. Lapierre knocked Nichol into the end boards 1:50 into the third period of the Sharks' 3-2 win Thursday night.
Dale Earnhardt Jr. claimed the pole for the Kobalt Tools 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway with a blistering speed of 192.761 mph. It will be the first time Junior has taken green at the head of a Sprint Cup field since the April 2008 race at Texas.
Detroit's Rodney Stuckey was wheeled off the court on a stretcher during the third quarter Friday and taking from the arena in an ambulance after he collapsed into a trainer's arms on the bench during a game at Cleveland. Stuckey's vital signs were stable, and he was conscious and breathing on his own at the Cleveland Clinic. Cleveland won 99-92.
* Stephen Jackson scored 21 points and Charlotte handed the road-weary Lakers their second straight loss, 98-83.... Andrew Bogut had 19 points and 10 rebounds despite sitting out the fourth quarter of Milwaukee's 102-74 win at Washington.... Rajon Rando had 16 points and 11 assists, Kevin Garnett scored 22 points and Boston handed Philadelphia its fifth straight loss, 96-86.... Sonny Weems scored a career-high 20 points in New York's 102-96 win at Toronto.