No surprise: Ned Yost is sticking around as the Royals’ manager.
The club announced agreement with Yost on a two-year extension Tuesday morning, just two days after completing an 86-76 season that marked their first winning record since 2003.
Yost and general manager Dayton Moore each expressed a strong desire in recent days to reach a new agreement. The extension binds Yost, 59, to the Royals through the 2015 season.
“I’ve got too much invested here,” Yost said last weekend as the Royals closed out the season in Chicago. “These players are a joy to be around. They’re a fun, fun group.”
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Those comments came after Moore said earlier this week that “it goes without saying that I want (Yost) back.”
Yost served as Milwaukee’s manager from 2002-08 and replaced Trey Hillman as Royals manager on May 13, 2010 with a contract that initially lasted only through that season.
A two-year extension, announced July 31, 2010, included a club option for 2013. The Royals exercised that option on Feb. 14, 2012.
“Continuity is very important,” Yost said. “We got right to the brink in Milwaukee when I got fired, and the next year, they were under .500. Continuity is important.
“As long as the clubhouse is healthy, that it has life and energy, that’s a big part of the job.”