White Sox 4, Royals 3 — A.J. Pierzynski hit a go-ahead, two-run double with two out in the eighth inning, and the White Sox rallied to beat the Royals.
* Chicago stopped a three-game slide and pulled within five games of AL Central-leading Minnesota, which lost 2-0 at Cleveland.... J.J. Putz (7-5) pitched a scoreless eighth inning to get the win and rookie Chris Sale worked the ninth for his second save.... The White Sox rallied against Robinson Tejada (3-4), taking advantage when Alexei Ramirez reached on a one-out error by shortstop Yuniesky Betancourt.
Indians 2, Twins 0 — Fausto Carmona pitched a three-hitter for his first shutout in more than two years, slowing Minnesota's September surge.
* Carmona (12-14) had lost his last six decisions, falling 1-0 in a complete-game start against Seattle his last time out. The right-hander dominated the Twins, who just completed an 8-1 homestand and lost for only the second time in nine games this month.... Matt LaPorta homered in the second inning off Carl Pavano (16-11), who allowed just two runs and six hits but lost for the fourth time in five starts.
Rays 9, Blue Jays 8 — Evan Longoria scored the go-ahead run on a throwing error by shortstop Yunel Escobar in the ninth inning, and Tampa Bay beat the Blue Jays after blowing a seven-run lead.
* B.J. Upton and Ben Zobrist hit solo homers for the Rays, who won for just the second time in six games.... Tampa Bay led 8-1 in the fourth before the Blue Jays rallied. Jose Bautista's second homer of the game, a two-run shot in the seventh, tied it at 8.... The Rays won it with an unearned run in the ninth against Toronto closer Kevin Gregg (1-5).... Joaquin Benoit (1-2) pitched 1 1/3 innings for the win and Rafael Soriano struck out the side in the ninth for his 42nd save in 44 chances.
Orioles 6, Tigers 3 — Matt Wieters hit a tiebreaking sacrifice fly in the eighth inning, atoning for an earlier error, and Baltimore beat the Tigers.
* The game marked the reunion of Tigers starter Armando Galarraga and umpire Jim Joyce. It was the first time they had been involved in the same game since Joyce's missed call with two outs in the ninth cost Galarraga a perfect game on June 2.
Marlins 3, Nationals 1 — Alex Sanabia (4-2) allowed three hits in 6 2/3 scoreless but peaceful innings in the first meeting between the teams since they brawled Sept. 1.
* Sanabia (4-2) will start a three-game suspension Saturday for his part in a fight that caused Major League Baseball to discipline six players, both managers and a coach.