High School Sports

Andover builds lead on Kapaun before delay

Andover quarterback Chase Oberg sprints for the goal line Friday evening, escaping the grasp of Kapaun defender Kevin Mills.
Andover quarterback Chase Oberg sprints for the goal line Friday evening, escaping the grasp of Kapaun defender Kevin Mills. The Wichita Eagle

Chase Oberg passed for one touchdown and ran for another as Andover built a 21-3 lead against Kapaun Mount Carmel on Friday night before play was suspended by threatening weather late in the first half at Andover District Stadium.

Officials called the teams off the field with 1:49 remaining in the second quarter. Kapaun, which intercepted passes to end back-to-back Andover drives late in the quarter, faced second-and-12 from its own 44 when the game was halted.

Taylor Eldridge stays dry during his wrapup of Friday's high school football.

Administrators suspended the game until 7 p.m. Saturday.

Oberg completed 13 of 20 passes for 145 yards before rain and lightning forced a delay of more than two hours. Wide receiver Evan Bell caught six passes for 90 yards and a touchdown for Andover.

Andover started the game looking to improve to 2-0 under new coach Tony Crough. The Trojans defeated Salina Central 48-20 last week and built a 14-0 lead in the first quarter against Kapaun. The Trojans cashed in on four personal-foul penalties by Kapaun in the opening quarter, two on each scoring drive. Senior Robert Bundy raced into the end zone on a 16-yard draw play for Andover’s first touchdown, which came one play after a Kapaun personal foul.

Bundy had 12 carries for 61 yards before play was stopped.

Read Next

Kapaun appeared to have Andover’s next drive stopped when Adam Ayala intercepted Oberg’s pass inside the Crusaders 10. But Kapaun was called for roughing the passer to give the Trojans a first down. Two plays later, Oberg lobbed a pass into the end zone to Bell, who got a foot down just inside the boundary to make it 14-0.

The Crusaders quickly marched into Andover territory near the end of the first quarter. But their drive stalled and sophomore Matthew Schrock kicked a 46-yard field goal to make it 14-3.

Andover answered with a seven-play, 67-yard drive to extend its lead to 21-3. A 40-yard pass from Oberg to Bell set up a 6-yard touchdown run by Oberg, who rolled right on third and goal and turned for the end zone near the sideline.

Kapaun was called for 10 penalties for 99 yards before the weather delay. But its defense kept Andover from building a bigger lead. Junior Nick Channel ended a string of seven consecutive completions by Oberg by picking off a pass near the goal line. Kapaun’s Shane Channell stopped another drive in Crusader territory, intercepting Oberg’s middle screen attempt with 2:17 remaining in the first half.

After Kapaun’s offense ran two plays, the public-address announcer said lightning was detected in the area. The teams were sent to their locker rooms and students from both schools were dispatched to nearby Andover High and Cottonwood Elementary.

Related stories from Wichita Eagle