The series: 7 tonight; 2 p.m, Saturday; 1 p.m., Sunday
Probable rotations: SJSU—RH Luke Mazzanti (0-5, 8.90 ERA); RH Blake McFarland (5-1, 2.61); TBA. WSU—RH Jordan Cooper (4-2, 2.16); RH Tim Kelley (5-2, 4.59); LH Josh Smith (4-2, 3.92).
* San Jose State has lost five of its past seven games and are 5-9 away from its home field. The Spartans defeated Southern Illinois 18-6 and 10-1 in early March in San Jose.
* Mazzanti is 0-2 with a 14.46 ERA in his past two starts. He gave up six home runs in 9 1/3 innings. A week ago, New Mexico State battered him for 10 hits and eight runs in 6 1/3 innings. McFarland is the ace of the staff, totaling 45 strikeouts and 13 walks this season.
* CF Jason Martin is third in the Western Athletic Conference with a .403 batting average. He leads the Spartans with a .496 slugging percentage. The Spartans have 13 home runs, led by LF Kerry Jenkins with three.
* Wichita State 1B Clint McKeever remains limited by a pulled right hamstring that keeps him from running full speed. The injury will keep him out of the lineup, so a return to pitching is an option. He threw an inning in Wednesday's game against Bethany and pitching coach Brent Kemnitz liked what he saw. McKeever threw limited innings as a sophomore and junior before shifting his focus to first base. "A fresh brain and a guy that's had some success is a welcome addition," Kemnitz said.
* WSU coach Gene Stephenson won't commit to starting Walker Davidson at 2B, but he will say the freshman has earned more playing time. Davidson went 3 for 5 against Bethany and produced a pinch-hit single against Kansas State to raise his average to .389. Davidson, a right-hander, is 6 for 15 against right-handed pitchers, making him one of the few Shockers who hits right-handers better than left-handers.
* P Charlie Lowell remains sidelined with a strained left forearm. Kemnitz said Lowell still feels pain when throwing, but the injury appears to be improving.