LAWRENCE — KU coach Charlie Weis unveiled an updated depth chart on Tuesday afternoon, providing a glimpse at who will be starting when the Jayhawks take the field on Saturday evening in their opener against South Dakota State.
For comparison, here is the depth chart from the beginning of fall camp.
Here are a few things that stick out right away:
– Sophomore linebacker Ben Heeney will start at middle linebacker; Weis said senior transfer Anthony McDonald is not 100 percent healthy, and Heeney and freshman Schyler Miles will handle the position against South Dakota State.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
– Juco transfer Aslam Sterling, who initially came into camp as an offensive tackle, will start at right guard, while junior Gavin Howard will start at right tackle.
– Juco transfer Jordan Tavai has won a job on the defensive line, despite arriving in the middle of fall camp. Tavai will start at the inside nose position on Saturday.
– True freshman receiver Tre' Parmalee moved up the depth chart to second-team at the slot position. Weis said he would likely see snaps on Saturday.
– As expected, juco transfer Taylor Cox won the battle for the second running back behind starter Tony Pierson, while redshirt freshman Michael Cummings is the backup quarterback.
- Lastly, freshman Reilly Jeffers and senior Trevor Marrongelli will fill in for longsnapper Justin Carnes, who was suspended three games for a violation of team rules.
Here's the full depth chart:
LT: 1. Tanner Hawkinson, Sr.; 2. Pat Lewandowski, So.
LG: 1. Duane Zlatnik, Sr.; 2. Damon Martin, Fr.
C: 1. Trevor Marrongelli, Sr.; 2. Dylan Admire, Fr.
RG: 1. Aslam Sterling, Jr.; 2. Randall Dent, Jr.
RT: 1. Gavin Howard, Jr.; Riley Spencer, Jr.
TE: 1. Mike Ragone, Sr.; 2. Jimmay Mundine, So.,
FB: 1. Trent Smiley, So. ; 2. Brandon Bourbon, So.,
HB: 1. Tony Pierson, So.; 2. Taylor Cox, Jr.
QB: 1. Dayne Crist, Sr.; 2. Michael Cummings, Fr.,
WR (X): 1. Kale Pick, Sr.; 2. Chris Omigie, Jr.
WR (Slot): 1. Daym. Patterson, Sr.; 2. Tre' Parmalee
WR (Z): 1. D.J. Beshears, Sr.; 2. Andrew Turzilli, So.
End: 1. Josh Williams, Sr.; 2. Ben Goodman, Fr.,
N: 1. Jordan Tavai, Jr.; 2. John Williams, Jr., OR Kevin Young, Jr.,
T: 1. Keba Agostinho, Jr.; 2. Keon Stowers, So.
RE/SLB: 1. Toben Opurum, Sr.; 2. Michael Reynolds, So.
SLB: 1. Tunde Bakare, Sr.; 2. Corrigan Powell, Sr.
MLB: 1. Ben Heeney, So.; 2. Schyler Miles, Fr., OR Jake Love, Fr.
WLB: 1. Huldon Tharp, Jr.; 2. Prinz Kande, Jr.
FC: 1. Greg Brown, Sr.; 2. Tyree Williams, Fr.
BC: 1. Tyler Patmon, Jr; 2. Greg Allen, Fr.
SS: 1. Lubbock Smith, Sr.; 2. Ray Mitchell, So. OR Tevin Shaw, Fr.
FS: 1. Bradley McDougald, Sr., 2. Dexter Linton, Jr.
K: 1. Ron Doherty, Jr.; 2. Austin Barone, Fr.
P: 1. Ron Doherty, Jr.; 2. Sean Huddleston, So.
LSN: 1. Reilly Jeffers, Fr.; 2. Trevor Marrongelli, Sr.
SSN: 1. Trevor Marrongelli, Sr.; 2. Reilly Jeffers, Fr.
HOLD: 1. Blake Jablonski, So.; 2. Tre Parmalee, Fr.
KR: 1. D.J. Beshears, Sr.; 2. Taylor Cox, Jr.
PR: 1. Daymond Patterson, Sr.; 2. Bradley McDougald, Sr.; 3. Tre' Parmalee