Last season, Madison Murphy wasn't even the top scorer on her team — let alone the top scorer in the City League — although she won the league tournament in a playoff.
This season, Murphy had the top returning scoring average in the City League, so winning the league tournament again was an expectation.
The junior from Bishop Carroll didn't disappoint Tuesday afternoon at Consolver, as she shot an 82 and took medalist honors for a second consecutive season.
"I have played well all season and been near or at the top of the league tournaments," Murphy said. "This was something I definitely wanted. I didn't want to give up my reign as league champion."
It was actually a wonder that Murphy played as well as she did.
Battling a cold and a blustery north wind, she plotted her way around Consolver with 12 pars. If it weren't for a quadruple bogey on 14, she would have posted her best round of the season.
"I wasn't feeling very well and the cold air kind of got to me," Murphy said. "But I just tried to stay with it and do my best."
Consolver is the longest course the City League plays on. Couple that with the conditions and Murphy's round looked significantly better than what her scorecard indicated. In fact, she was the only player to break 90.
Keeping the ball in play was a challenge at times, but not for Murphy. She hit 11 of 14 fairways and 10 greens. While she made no birdies, she gave herself several opportunities with nine birdie looks.
After opening with a double bogey, Murphy played the next 12 holes in two over par.
"That's how she has been all year long," Carroll coach Mark Berger said. "Her game is making a lot of pars. She is very solid and with the way she has been feeling, it was really a gutsy performance."
Kapaun Mount Carmel won the team title with a 372. With their win, the Crusaders won their tenth consecutive City League championship.
City League Tournament
at Tex Consolver
1. Kapaun 372 (C. Wells 91, Kr. Rathert 92, Ka. Rathert 93, Mullen 96, K. Wells 100, Staats 101)
2. Carroll 376 (Murphy 82, Kelley 90, Ubert 98, Hubbell 106, Ozbun 112, Bush 128)
3. North 403 (Riggs 91, Ekeler 99, Kraemer 105, Probst 108, Taylor 114, Brittain 124)
4. East 426 (Sanders 103, Thomas 105, Clayton 106, LeCompte 112, Shelton 114, Steelsmith 126)
5. Heights 433 (Griffith 99, Whittaker 109, Dickman 112, Delacruz 113, Allenbach 116, Leeds 147)
6. Southeast 435 (Alefs 94, Coldiron 105, Bauer 110, Grisby 126, Bays 134)
7. South 500 (Miller 117, Jaurez 117, Hill 119, St. John 147)
8. Northwest 519 (Bazzelle 111, Lahr 122, Lee 141, Bolin 145, Poe 168)