Before we get too far into the new year, let’s see what you remember about politics in 2014.
1. The National Rifle Association is famous for its defense of the right to carry guns. An NRA commentator demanded that the right to bear arms be extended to:
A) Blind people.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
C) Bad shots.
D) Career criminals.
2. This year, a professor at the University of North Carolina published a study of Mitt Romney’s 2012 presidential campaign in which he determined that by the end of the race it took 22 staff members to:
A) Keep the candidate’s hair in check.
B) Create the candidate’s position on health care.
C) Approve campaign tweets.
D) Keep the family dog tied to the car roof.
3. The $1.1 trillion spending package Congress passed at the end of the year was called the:
B) Enola Gay.
C) Big Bargain.
D) Return to Normalcy.
4. Identify the person who said, “We’ve had enough Bushes”:
A) Barbara Bush on Jeb’s presidential prospects.
B) George H.W. Bush on attendance at recent family reunions.
C) White House grounds-keeper on the annual Foliage Census.
D) Texas Land Commissioner-elect George P. Bush on his commitment to family planning.
5. After investigations into Benghazi by the House Intelligence Committee, the House Armed Services Committee, the House Foreign Affairs Committee and the House Oversight Committee, Speaker John Boehner prepared for the new year by creating:
A) A drinking game in which players have to quaff red wine whenever they hear the word “Libya.”
B) A $3.3 million special committee on Benghazi.
C) A bipartisan commission on duplication of congressional investigations.
D) A new tradition in which he tells reporters, “If ands and buts were candy and nuts, then every day would be Christmas.”
6. The first thing Mitch McConnell says he’ll do when he becomes Senate majority leader this month is:
A) Create a new Senate investigation into Benghazi.
B) Finance a new monument to coal on the National Mall.
C) Tie up Ted Cruz and stick him in the basement.
D) Pass a bill authorizing a humongous oil pipeline.
Answers: 1, A (In a video titled “Firearms and the Blind,” an NRA commentator said, “It’s been proven that people that lack vision have an increased awareness of their hearing and spatial surroundings.”); 2, C; 3, A; 4, A; 5, B; 6, D.