World

Suspected killer of migrant boy confesses 2nd killing

In this Oct. 1, 2015, picture hundreds of migrants wait for their registration at the central registration center for refugees and asylum seekers, in Berlin, Germany. Berlin police say Thursday Oct. 29, 2015, they have arrested a suspect in the disappearance earlier this month of 4-year-old Bosnian boy Mohamed Januzi leaving the central registration center for migrants in Berlin, and have found the body of a child in the suspect's car.
In this Oct. 1, 2015, picture hundreds of migrants wait for their registration at the central registration center for refugees and asylum seekers, in Berlin, Germany. Berlin police say Thursday Oct. 29, 2015, they have arrested a suspect in the disappearance earlier this month of 4-year-old Bosnian boy Mohamed Januzi leaving the central registration center for migrants in Berlin, and have found the body of a child in the suspect's car. AP

A 32-year-old German man arrested in the slaying of a 4-year-old migrant boy from Bosnia has confessed to killing another child, prosecutors said Friday.

Prosecutors’ spokesman Stefan Stoehr told The Associated Press that the suspect, whose name has not been released, confessed to killing a 6-year-old boy named Elias who went missing from near his parent’s home in Potsdam, outside Berlin, in July.

Stoehr had no further information on what the suspect told authorities but a press conference was planned for later in the day.

The suspect was arrested Thursday at his family’s house in Brandenburg, near Berlin, after he was reported to police by his mother.

Police said he immediately confessed to killing 4-year-old Mohamed Januzi, who was abducted Oct. 1 from the capital’s central registration center for migrants.

A boy’s body was found in the trunk of his car and an autopsy is being conducted.

Police said in a statement Friday that the suspect said he had killed the boy Oct. 2, the day after his abduction. A spokesman refused to elaborate.

Authorities have not speculated on motive, but said Thursday that there’s no evidence that the suspect had any xenophobic feelings nor had any link to far-right groups.

  Comments