POWHATAN, Va. (AP) – A Virginia woman says her dog died while being groomed at a Petco store, and the company says it’s investigating the incident.
Multiple media outlets report that Allison Marks dropped off her 2-year-old golden retriever, Colby, at the store in Chesterfield for a regular grooming Saturday.
Marks, of Powhatan, says that when she called to check on her dog, she was told to meet an employee at a nearby animal clinic. Marks says a veterinarian there told her he believed Colby had died of a heat stroke.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Marks says she believes the groomer washed her dog, then left him inside a heated cage dryer for an extended period.
A statement released on behalf of Petco says the company is investigating. Chesterfield Animal Control also has launched an investigation.