Gunmen attack officials' convoy in Mexico

MORELIA, Mexico — Gunmen armed with assault rifles and grenades attacked a convoy carrying the top security official of the western state of Michoacan on Saturday, killing four and wounding 10 in Mexico's second brazen ambush in as many days.

Public Safety Secretary Minerva Bautista was among the wounded but was recovering from non-life-threatening injuries, according to the state attorney general's office. She was traveling in a bullet-resistant sport utility vehicle.

State Attorney General Jesus Montejano told the local Milenio television station that the attackers used assault rifles, grenades, a grenade launcher and a powerful .50-caliber sniper rifle whose rounds are capable of penetrating bullet-resistant materials.

Paraguayan army in pursuit of guerrillas

ASUNCION, Paraguay — Lawmakers gave Paraguay's president and army emergency powers resembling martial law Saturday to pursue a guerrilla group known for its kidnappings in the north of the country.

Congress proclaimed constitutional order at risk as it declared a 30-day emergency for a five-state region where the Paraguayan People's Army has sown fear with kidnappings for ransom in the name of political change to help the rural poor.

Leftist President Fernando Lugo, who had asked for a 60-day suspension of due process, will be able to order arrests and the transfer of suspects without court approval. He is expected to name a military commander to lead the offensive after signing the law.

1 helicopter crashes, 3 helicopters missing

WELLINGTON, New Zealand — Three airmen are dead and a fourth seriously hurt after a New Zealand military helicopter en route to a military memorial flyover crashed on farmland north of the capital, Wellington, emergency services said today.

Earlier, three Vietnam-era Iroquois military helicopters failed to appear at a scheduled fly-past at a dawn service in the capital to commemorate the 95th anniversary of the landing of New Zealand and Australian troops at Gallipoli in Turkey during World War I.

Defense Force communications director Commander Phil Bradshaw said in a statement there would be no official comment until the force had established what happened.