Taliban: Attack's aim was to drive U.S. out

KABUL, Afghanistan — Taliban militants claimed credit for a series of bombings that hit central Kabul early Friday, saying they were intended to force the U.S. and its allies to withdraw their militaries from Afghanistan.

At least 16 people were killed in the explosions, which targeted two guesthouses primarily used by foreigners. Among the dead were at least six Indians, an Italian diplomat and a French documentary filmmaker.

"Our aim is those foreigners who have troops in the country: We want to put pressure on them to leave," Zabiullah Mujahed, a Taliban spokesman, told McClatchy.

The assault was the fifth major attack on Kabul in five months and is likely to reignite concerns that the Afghan capital, long viewed as a relative safe haven, is becoming an increasing target for anti-government insurgents.

"With every day that is passing, the police are becoming weaker and weaker, not stronger," said Sultan Mohammed Awrang, an Afghan lawmaker. "They can't protect the people of Kabul."

Mujahed said five Taliban fighters undertook the suicide attacks, which began shortly after dawn on an overcast day when Kabul's streets were mostly empty.

The initial car bomb blast, about 6:40 a.m. local time, decimated a small guesthouse filled with Indian engineers, doctors and technicians. The explosion left a gaping seven-foot-deep crater in the street.

At least three militants wearing suicide vests stormed the adjacent Park Residence hotel after the car bomb exploded.

Guests inside ran to safe rooms and huddled in their rooms as the attackers fanned out through the hotel.

The Italian diplomat was talking on the phone to police when he was killed, said Interior Ministry spokesman Zemari Bashari.

While two suicide bombers blew themselves up inside the hotel, a third holed up in one of the rooms and fought off Afghan police for more than three hours.

Aziz al-Haq, a 29-year-old electrical engineer from India, said he was trapped with seven or eight people in an adjacent room.

"It was a horrible experience," said al-Haq, who spent the afternoon searching Kabul hospitals for friends and colleagues.

Later, he emerged from a Kabul hospital with two somber colleagues.

"Did you hear?" one of the men asked. "We found our friend. He is dead."