You Oughta Know

Get offender information on the Web

Each Monday, The Eagle highlights a government record that is available to the public. Open records help people keep government in check and help them better understand how government affects their lives.

For recent You Oughta Know columns, go to

The records: Information about registered sex, violent and drug offenders in Kansas. More information than ever is available about the offenders at the Kansas Bureau of Investigations' offender registry. For example, in addition to offenders' home addresses, you can now get the addresses of their employers as well as information about what vehicles they drive and updated photographs of them each time they check in with the state.

Why you'd want them: To learn more about offenders who might live or work near you.

Where you get the records: From the KBI's offender registry, can search by a specific name or by ZIP code to check your neighborhood.

How much it will cost: The information is free.