You Oughta Know

Accident reports are public, online

Each Monday, The Eagle highlights a government record that is available to the public. Open records help people keep government in check and help them better understand how government affects their lives. For recent You Oughta Know columns, go to

The record: Accident reports from the Wichita Police Department

Why you'd want them: To have copies of accidents in which you were involved or to learn more about someone else's accident.

Where you get the records: The city's Web site,, makes accident reports available online. Click "Accident Reports" under the "Top E-Services" menu. You also may go to City Hall to get the records in person. You'll need an incident number or the driver's name, the street where the accident took place and the date of the crash. If you order a report online, you'll need to pay with Visa or MasterCard and have a valid e-mail address.

How much it will cost: Accident reports are $16.