You Oughta Know

See how your child's school is performing

Each Monday, The Eagle highlights a government record that is available to the public. Open records help people keep government in check and help them better understand how government affects their lives.

For recent You Oughta Know columns, go to

The record: (AYP) Adequate Yearly Progress reports for Kansas schools.

Why you'd want them: To learn more about how your child's school is faring and to see whether it failed to meet standards.

Where you get the records: From the Kansas State Department of Education's Web site, Click on the "Data/Report Card" link on the left side of the home page and then on "Adequate Yearly Progress." Toward the bottom of that page, click on "2008 AYP Results."

How much it will cost: The information is free.