– Make shopping simple: fewer choices and clearer layouts will appeal to men so they can hunt rather than forage.
– Appeal to their ego: having an expert salesperson agree with your opinion is gratifying.
– “Use” women: one study found that men reacted much more positively to a loan advert when it included a picture of a woman, and negatively when it included a picture of a man.
– Appeal to masculine psychological drives like status and power.
– Associate with male role models (like sports stars)
OK, while these are pretty condescending, I regret to say they make a lot of sense. They’re recommendations for retailers on how to get men to shop more from a new book called “CONSUMER.OLOGY: The Market Research Myth, the Truth about Consumers and the Psychology of Shopping” by consumer behavior expert Philip Graves.