Crime & Courts

Wichita restaurant owner happy to move on after shooter is found guilty

Ruben Acosta can finally move on.

The man who shot him last year was found guilty of attempted first-degree murder and eight other crimes after a week-long trial, which ended at around 11:30 a.m. Friday.

Reginald Kane will be sentenced June 15. He will have to register as a violent offender.

Acosta said after the verdict that he's looking forward to moving on with his life.

"It's time to put everything behind me," he said. "It makes me happy that he won't be in the street to hurt somebody else."

The 58-year-old owner of Ruben's Mexican Grill was shot three times when Kane robbed the business at 915 W. Douglas last June.

Kane went into the business just after 10 p.m. wearing a mask. He pointed a gun at employees and demanded cash. Acosta, who was counting money at a table, was armed with a revolver.

The men exchanged gunfire.

Investigators determined Kane fired at least 13 shots at Acosta.

Acosta has had more than a dozen surgeries. His right arm was still in a cast at the time of the trial.

Anita Acosta, his wife, reopened their restaurant and has been running it since.

"The business is still going thanks to my wife and the staff," he said.

"It makes me feel bad because it's my job, it's my passion," but doctors, Acosta said, have told him he won't ever physically be the same.

Nichole Manna, 316-269-6752, @NicholeManna
  Comments