An Overland Park homeowner was startled early Saturday to find an intruder who had spent the night in his basement.
A man who lives in the 5000 block of West 102nd Terrace called 911 early Saturday after finding a window smashed out and the intruder in his basement, according to police.
Officers arrived and took the man into custody.
The intruder reportedly apologized for breaking the window and said he was a CIA agent who was “on the run,” police said. He also told police that Kansas City “was under attack.”
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The break-in had occurred the night before, police said. The intruder’s car was later found parked nearby.
In the basement, they found a blanket that had been moved from an upstairs room. They also found pizza, bottles of water and a loaf of bread from the kitchen.
The homeowners told police that they had not heard anything the night before.
The intruder, reportedly a 33-year-old Kansas City resident, was charged in Municipal Court with criminal damage to property.
Strange Kansas stories in the news
Today's story isn't the first time an unusual Wichita or Kansas story has made the rounds.
Here are some other stories you may remember:
- Wal-Mart customer, angry with self-checkout machine, loses tooth in fight
- Mice chew into evidence bags, eat and nest in marijuana
- Parents arrested after doing heroin in Chuck E. Cheese parking lot, police say
- Brothers celebrate lottery win by blowing up house
- Man who tries to rob 92-year-old woman suffers skull fracture
- Wichita boy’s garage-sale buy holds a treasure for his family
- Crack smoking, having sex in car net couple a trip to jail, Wichita police say
- Man uncooperative after being stabbed in scrotum with hypodermic needle
- Police: Drunken man fed children's parakeet to his pit bull
- Man lay in basement four days after being robbed
- Woman urinates in yard, slaps child, police say
- Woman takes beating, but won't surrender her beer
- Man's suicide shot also kills sleeping wife
- Tattooed bicyclist miffed about being pulled over while wearing a thong
- Couple robbed while inside Dumpster
- Bachelorette party prop spooks Wichita police horse, prompts arrest
- Error on state test slips past everyone -- except for East High student
- Clay Center hunter shoots 27-point doe
- Sheriff: Woman sat on boyfriend's toilet for 2 years
- Police arrest man suspected of having sex with dog