Crime & Courts

Woman convicted in Subway robbery sentenced to 29 months in prison

A woman who led police on a high-speed chase after her armed accomplice robbed a local Subway in January will spend two years and five months in prison, federal prosecutors announced Monday.

Brittany R. Holt, 23, pleaded guilty to a single count of aiding and abetting armed robbery for driving the getaway car after David B. Johnson robbed a Subway Sandwich Shop on Jan. 28, U.S. attorney Barry Grissom’s office said in a news release. According to reports in January from local authorities, Johnson ordered two sandwiches at the store just before 10 a.m., then demanded money at gunpoint when the cashier opened the register. The pair fled in a blue 2002 Chevrolet Impala.

The Subway is located at 343 S. Greenwich Road in Wichita.

Holt, a Topeka resident, led officers on chase topping 100 mph after a Sedgwick County sheriff’s deputy spotted the Impala at QuikTrip, 5602 E. Harry, near Webb Road. She sped away when the deputy flipped on his lights, authorities said in January.

The pair evaded capture for more than 30 minutes, according to reports. Law enforcement put down spikes at several locations during the pursuit, but Holt was able to avoid them and continue driving.

Holt stopped on a rural Butler County road after a Kansas Highway Patrol trooper put down a spike strip to flatten the Impala’s tires, police said. She and Johnson surrendered on Southwest 120th Street South, just west of Coal Creek Road. The Butler County Sheriff’s Office assisted in the chase.

Law enforcement officers found a 12-gauge shotgun, a box of shells and money from the Subway robbery in the car, Grissom’s office said.

In her plea, Holt also admitted to driving Johnson to the store before the robbery.

Johnson, 26, was sentenced in June to 14 years in prison guilty for committing a string of robberies in late January, including the Subway incident. He pleaded guilty to multiple counts of armed robbery and a single count of unlawful possession of a firearm after a felony conviction after crimes in Wichita, Topeka and Lawrence between Jan. 23-28.

He is a resident of Lubbock, Texas.