A teen who had been charged as a juvenile in the killing of a 13-year-old Wichita boy — gunned down last summer when he went to his door — will now stand trial as an adult.
Edward D. Laurel, 16, faces a Jan. 18 trial in Sedgwick County District Court on charges of first-degree murder and criminal discharge of a firearm at an occupied building, records show.
Laurel and three others have been charged in the June 20 shooting that killed Miguel Angel Andrade Martinez. The boy was answering a knock at the door of his home on North Jackson early that Sunday morning when someone outside fired 14 shots, according to testimony. Several shots hit Miguel. The intended target didn't live at the house, police said.
The shooting stemmed from a fight weeks earlier, police said.
Police arrested Laurel shortly after the shooting, and he has been held since then. On Nov. 18, a judge ruled that Laurel would be tried as an adult, and charges against him were filed in adult court last week. .
One of the four charged in the crime, Gregory Patton, has testified that Laurel and another defendant, Eli Betancourt, 19, were armed that morning.
Patton, 19, testified that he saw Betancourt and Laurel get out of the car they were riding in and walk toward Miguel's house before shots rang out.
Betancourt and his older brother, Alejandro Betancourt, face trial early next year on charges of first-degree murder and firing at an occupied building. Alejandro Betancourt was the driver, according to testimony.
Patton has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder. Because of his testimony, prosecutors have agreed to recommend probation for Patton.