One person has died in a residential fire at a triplex Tuesday morning in south Wichita.
One of the residents living in the triplex in the 1200 block of East Clark near Mount Vernon and Southeast Boulevard called 911 to report a smell of gas at 7:48 a.m. First responders arrived at 7:54 a.m. and described seeing smoke coming from the house but not flames.
Firefighters found the body of a man in a bedroom of one of the units, according to Wichita Fire Chief Ron Blackwell. Two dogs were also found dead in the man’s apartment.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Blackwell said the majority of the fire was confined to the bedroom. He said the fire appeared to have smoldered for a while. No other people were in the apartment.
Firefighters think the resident who called 911 smelled smoke, rather than gas, and that there’s no evidence of gas playing a role in the fire.
The unit had a smoke alarm, Blackwell said, but it’s unclear whether it sounded.
Others living in the building were largely unaffected, according to the fire department, and no other injuries were reported.