Local

Smoke causes Aloft hotel to evacuate early Wednesday

Smoke caused the Aloft hotel in northeast Wichita to evacuate Wednesday morning.
Smoke caused the Aloft hotel in northeast Wichita to evacuate Wednesday morning. The Wichita Eagle

A mechanical malfunction, possibly with a dryer, caused smoke to fill up on the first floor Aloft Wichita Northeast hotel early Wednesday.

Those staying in the hotel had to evacuate just before 6:30 a.m. Many still in their pajamas watched the Wichita Fire Department work while standing outside. Others stayed in their cars.

Just before 7, Battalion Chief Doug Winter said crews never found flames, but were working to ventilate smoke out of the building. They believe a mechanical fire caused the smoke.

No one was injured.

Nichole Manna: 316-269-6752, @NicholeManna

  Comments