Family displaced after bedroom fire
Members of a family living in the 2700 block of West 16th Street in Wichita will be displaced after their house caught fire Friday morning.
Danny Ward, who owns property just down the block, said he was getting ready to leave when he noticed smoke and flames coming out of the home’s front window.
He said he ran to the house and started banging on the door, but no one answered.
“The smoke was just pouring out of the window,” he said, explaining that the glass also shattered. He dialed 911.
Battalion Chief Jim Wilson said no one was home. Firefighters have been able to contact the homeowners, and he said it appears the fire began in a front bedroom.
“There is extensive damage, it’s not going to be livable,” Wilson said. “The fire had burnt for a long time ... it didn’t vent itself, so that created a lot of smoke damage throughout the structure.”
He said no firefighters were injured.