The family of a 15-month-old girl who was critically injured at a Wichita carnival last week announced that she died.
Shaun and Rheannon Bartonek said in a statement through Wesley Healthcare that their daughter, Pressley, died Wednesday afternoon.
“We have made the difficult decision to donate her organs so that other patients in need of transplants no longer have to suffer through their illnesses and that her death was not in vain,” according to the statement released Friday morning. “We request that you respect our privacy during this difficult time.”
The girl was injured May 12 at a carnival in the parking lot of Towne West Square.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The girl’s grandmother previously told The Eagle that the toddler wasn’t big enough to join other family in a bouncy house at the carnival. She was swinging back and forth on a handrail in front of the ride when she was electrocuted by a live wire.
The girl’s father pried her off the handrail and the family flagged down off-duty police officers nearby, who called 911. She was transported to a hospital.
A Westar utility worker found 290 volts of electricity being carried by equipment after it shocked Pressley Bartonek.
The same carnival, run by Missouri-based Evans United Shows, is now putting on a show at the Kansas Expocentre in Topeka.
A GoFundMe page has been created for the family.