Local

Carnival equipment touched by girl was carrying 290 volts, Westar says

A carnival operated by Evans United Shows made a stop in front of Towne West mall. A 15-month-old girl is thought to have received an electrical shock while at the carnival. (May 14, 2017)
A carnival operated by Evans United Shows made a stop in front of Towne West mall. A 15-month-old girl is thought to have received an electrical shock while at the carnival. (May 14, 2017) The Wichita Eagle

A utility worker found 290 volts of electricity being carried by equipment after it apparently shocked a 15-month-old girl at a Wichita carnival, a Westar Energy official said Monday night.

A Westar troubleshooter was sent to the carnival after the incident at a Towne West parking lot Friday night. The utility worker found that the equipment was electrified with 290 volts, and the utility worker remained until carnival staff members made the situation safe, said Westar spokeswoman Ebony Clemons. She didn’t know what work was entailed to make it safe.

The girl was critically injured when she was possibly shocked by an electric wire. Her family said she had been swinging back and forth on a handrail that had a wire in front of a bouncy house.

The girl’s father said Monday afternoon that his daughter was undergoing tests to determine the severity of her injuries. She remained in severe to critical condition.

Tim Potter: 316-268-6684, @timpotter59, tpotter@wichitaeagle.com

Beccy Tanner: 316-268-6336, @beccytanner, btanner@wichitaeagle.com

  Comments