The grandmother of a 15-month-old girl injured at a carnival in the parking lot of Towne West Square is asking for prayers for the critically injured child.
Lynn Bartonek said Sunday evening that the next 36 hours will be the most critical for her granddaughter.
“Her breathing has improved some,” Bartonek said.
The girl was injured Friday night at the Evans United Shows carnival when she possibly was shocked by a live wire. The carnival’s last day at Towne West was Sunday.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The company, based in Plattsburg, Mo., has not released a statement nor responded to calls for comment.
Bartonek said the family is grateful for everyone who stopped to help them at Towne West on Friday and since then.
“Without them, we wouldn’t have her,” Bartonek said Sunday.
The girl’s grandmother had said on Saturday that the toddler wasn’t big enough to join her mother and her older sister in a bouncy house at the carnival. To pass the time while waiting, she decided to swing back and forth on what the family said was a handrail that had a wire in front of the ride while her father shot video at about 9 p.m.
“She was swinging back and forth, and all of a sudden she was going straight back with her eyes wide open,” Bartonek said of her granddaughter, whose name is being withheld by her family.
“My son told me, ‘Mom, I had to pry her hands off the handrail,’ ” Bartonek said.
The toddler’s parents flagged down off-duty police officers nearby, who called 911. The first responders worked on trying to revive her before she was transported to a hospital, her family said.
As of late Saturday night, the little girl had still not regained consciousness, Bartonek said, and the family is hoping for a miracle.
“There was a possibility of some type of electric shock,” Officer Charley Davidson said Saturday. “We’re still trying to determine whether that is the cause.”
When police went to the hospital late Friday night and told doctors they suspected the girl had been shocked, they checked her body and found burn marks on her feet, Bartonek said.
“A fun evening turned into a lot of pain,” Bartonek said.