Local

UPDATED: Toddler who reportedly swallowed detergent hospitalized

Eagle file photo

A toddler who reportedly swallowed liquid laundry detergent on Tuesday morning was taken to a Wichita hospital in serious condition.

The child, who is 2, almost passed out and did vomit blood after ingesting the soap, according to emergency radio traffic. First responders called to 7101 W. Shade at around 10:45 a.m. were trying to determine the amount the toddler drank and whether the child swallowed any other substance. The address is near Central and Ridge.

The child was taken to Wesley Medical Center by ambulance for treatment, a Sedgwick County dispatcher said.

Wichita police Sgt. Nikki Woodrow said Wednesday the boy’s mother called 911 around 10:30 a.m., saying her son had ingested chemicals – with the likely culprit being laundry soap – and “was extremely sick.”

Woodrow offered safety tips for preventing home accidents like this in the future.

“Make sure to properly store out of the reach of children all materials that can be harmful to them,” including medications, cleaning supplies, liquor, paint and personal hygiene products like hairspray and soap, Woodrow said.

“Accidents only take seconds to happen. And these accidents can be avoided if we take a little bit of time to babyproof our houses.”

Amy Renee Leiker: 316-268-6644, @amyreneeleiker

  Comments