Suspect arrested in car crash, home break-ins

Perhaps it was because the car he was in had been reported stolen a few days before.

Or maybe it was because authorities had three warrants out for his arrest.

In any event, when a 20-year-old man lost control of the green Honda Accord in which he was barreling east on Douglas and crashed into a tree at Richmond on Sunday afternoon, he took off — leaving his seriously injured girlfriend behind.

Police say he ran to a house in the 100 block of North Edwards and tried to steal a 1995 Honda, but it wouldn't start.

He then ran north on Edwards, barging through an unlocked front door in the 200 block of North Edwards and demanding that the 70-year-old man inside give him the keys to his vehicle, police said. But the homeowner refused, so the suspect left.

He ran a little farther down the block and forced his way inside another house.

A locked door didn't stop him.

"It was very scary," the resident, Mary Hidvegi, acknowledged on Monday.

The man's entrance prompted Hidvegi and her 13-year-old son to begin screaming.

That drew the attention of Mary's husband, Marcus, who was working in the backyard. He came into the house and confronted the intruder, police said.

The suspect hit both Mary and Marcus in the face before stealing items and leaving.

He ran north, entered a house in the 300 block of North Richmond through an unlocked back door and stole property, police said.

Officers converged on the area, and witnesses told them where the suspect had gone. They surrounded the house, and he surrendered without incident.

He was booked into the Sedgwick County Jail on numerous alleged offenses including aggravated burglary, aggravated kidnapping, auto theft, aggravated assault and criminal possession of a firearm.

The crashed Honda had been reported stolen from north Wichita last week, police said.

The suspect's 23-year-old girlfriend was taken to Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis for treatment. A hospital spokeswoman would not provide information on her condition.

Police have asked the victims of Sunday's incident not to discuss the details with anyone because the investigation is ongoing.

"We're managing," Hidvegi said of her family's ordeal. "We'll be OK."