A stolen car led Wichita police car on a brief chase Friday night. Shortly after the chase ended, the car crashed into a porch on South Washington.
There were no injuries. Police were still looking for the driver and a passenger Friday night.
The chase began shortly before 7:30 p.m. near Funston and Washington when police attempted to stop a stolen Toyota Camry, Sgt. Bob Gulliver said. The vehicle sped away, reaching speeds of up to 60 mph.
Gulliver said police discontinued the chase because the fleeing vehicle was "creating a danger for the community." The chase lasted less than a minute, he said.
Police continued to drive south on Washington. They found the car crashed into the porch of house a few blocks south of Harry, but the driver and passenger had already fled.
Winfield police search for missing man
Winfield police are looking for a 77-year-old man. Richard D. May was last seen in the Winfield area Dec. 10.
He was reported missing by his family Thursday, police said Friday night. The family last had contact with May on Nov. 30.
May is white, approximately 5 feet, 9 inches tall and about 225 pounds. He has gray hair and hazel eyes.
May drives a champagne- colored 2002 Ford Windstar van with Kansas license plate WAB 495. Damage on the front passenger-side quarter panel is covered by gray spray paint.
Anyone with information should call Winfield police at 620-221-5555.
_ Rick Plumlee
Recycle Christmas trees until Jan. 23
Still need to get rid of your Christmas tree?
Sedgwick County is sponsoring 19 sites where residents can take their natural Christmas trees to be recycled.
The sites remain open through Jan. 23.
Before taking a tree to one of the sites, remove all decorations. The trees will be chipped periodically at each site, and the resulting mulch will be available for free on a first-come, first-served basis.
* Boston Park, 6655 E. Zimmerly
* Buffalo Park, 10209 Hardtner
* College Hill United Methodist Church, First and Erie streets
* Earhart Environmental Magnet School, 4401 N. Arkansas
* Edgemoor Park, 5815 E. Ninth St.
* Extension Education Center, 7001 W. 21st St.
* Great Plains Nature Center, 6232 E. 29th St. North
* Old Cowtown Museum, 1865 Museum Blvd.
* Osage Park, 2121 W. 31st St. South
* South Linwood Park, Hydraulic and Mount Vernon
In Sedgwick County:
* Cheney, East South Avenue and Garfield
* Clearwater, Aquatic Center parking lot
* Colwich, 115 S. Third St.
* Garden Plain, water tower
* Kechi, 107 Sioux St.
* Mount Hope, 400 S. St. Thomas
* Mulvane, 117 E. Main St.
* Park City, 6801 N. Hydraulic
* Valley Center, City Park near railroad tracks