The end of Three Pea Interiors means the beginning of a couple of new businesses and the expansion of a third.
Jolene Holdaway closed her Three Pea shop late last year and is preparing to open Red Nest Interiors in the former Esprit de Fleur space at 2907 E. Douglas early next month.
"I absolutely had to have more room," Holdaway says of showroom and storage space.
She had been sharing space with Three Pea Staging and Design in the former Crandall's Interiors furniture space on East Second Street.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Owners Gary Streepy and Kirsten Awe were wanting to expand their business as well.
Monty Stuber, whose Montage salon also is in the Esprit building, offered Holdaway some storage space that eventually turned into a lease agreement.
Holdaway thought making a complete split from the Three Pea name would be less confusing for customers.
Also, she's changing her business slightly by incorporating some older pieces into her showroom.
"I hate to use the word 'antique,' " Holdaway says. "I'm going to offer just some kind of unique finds, if you want to call them that, for people's homes."
She especially likes that she'll now be in the Douglas Design District .
Streepy and Awe, who have spent the past four years staging homes to help them sell, have renamed their business Three Pea: Organize, Stage, Design .
"We've kind of grown to where we buy furniture," Streepy says. "We started accumulating some things."
And they decided to accumulate some more by also opening Pea Pod Consignment Gallery in their Three Pea space.
Streepy says people can submit pictures of furniture they'd like to place on consignment. If he accepts them, there will be free pick-up service.
The shop opens Monday.
Over on Douglas, Stuber has reshuffled some of the businesses in his buildings there.
"I want to move more retail over in here," he says. "It clusters more people closer together with similar ideas."
And he thinks the home-grown businesses locating there are a natural fit with the Design District.
"We have all the things that bring people to it, and retail is just a natural because we already have the demographic of people here," he says.
"I just want to see things grow and continue to progress."
An early morning fire caused $150,000 in smoke damage at Larkspur in Old Town .
"What a bummer," owner Ty Issa says.
The fire started at a dryer in a storage room behind the kitchen.
Police officers patrolling the area noticed smoke coming from the building at 904 E. Douglas shortly after 12:30 a.m. Friday.
Firefighters forced entry through the front door and found smoke throughout the building, says Wichita fire Capt. Stuart Bevis .
They discovered a fire in a back room where a dryer had been drying towels.
"The fire was contained to a pretty small area," Bevis says, but there's substantial smoke damage.
Issa was sleeping at home when he got a call from his alarm company.
"I've been up probably all night," he says.
Still, Issa says, "I'm happy it's contained to that kind of damage."
He's fully covered by insurance — including for lost revenue — but the situation is a huge headache.
"The inconvenience of all this is just like we're in the construction business," Issa says.
Larkspur needs mostly cosmetic repairs, which Issa hopes take no longer than a week or 10 days.
"If I can get all these people to work on the weekends, that's what they're promising right now."
There also will be an extensive four-day cleaning.
"So it will be the cleanest restaurant in this town."
You don't say
"I'm a failed parent. Both daughters are at Kansas State University ."
—U.S. Rep. Jerry Moran , a KU grad, speaking to the Wichita Pachyderm Club on Friday