Air Capital Insider

Delta Air Lines acquires bigger stake in Aeromexico

Firetrucks at Wichita Eisenhower National Airport form a water cannon over an arriving Delta Air Lines flight in October. (Oct. 7, 2016)
Firetrucks at Wichita Eisenhower National Airport form a water cannon over an arriving Delta Air Lines flight in October. (Oct. 7, 2016) File photo

Delta Air Lines, which operates daily, nonstop flights from Wichita Eisenhower National Airport to Atlanta and Minneapolis, has increased its stake in Grupo Aeromexico.

Delta said Monday that it successfully completed its cash tender offer to purchase an additional 32 percent of the outstanding capital stock of the parent company of Aeromexico for $53 a share – for a total of $620 million.

The Atlanta-based airline now owns 36.2 percent of the outstanding shares of Grupo Aeromexico and has options for 12.8 percent more for a total of 49 percent of the outstanding shares of the parent company of Aeromexico.

Delta’s relationship with Aeromexico extends more than two decades, starting with a codeshare agreement in 1994. Such agreements allow an airline to sell another’s seats for travel on a route it doesn’t fly.

In 2011, Delta said it entered into an enhanced commercial agreement with Aeromexico, followed in 2012 by Delta’s $65 million investment in shares of Grupo Aeromexico.

In the next few months, Delta and Aeromexico will enter into a joint cooperation agreement for flights between the U.S. and Mexico, an agreement that has been approved by regulators in both countries.

“This is yet another milestone that strengthens the Delta-Aeromexico relationship as we move toward implementing our joint cooperation agreement in the second quarter,” Delta CEO Ed Bastian said in a news release.

Jerry Siebenmark: 316-268-6576, @jsiebenmark

  Comments