Suspect in fatal Overland Park shootings charged with trying to kill 3 others

The man accused in the April killings of three people outside Jewish facilities in Overland Park was charged Tuesday with trying to kill three other people during the shooting spree.

Frazier Glenn Miller Jr., also known as Frazier Glenn Cross Jr., who was previously charged with capital murder and first-degree murder, now also faces three counts of attempted first-degree murder.

Johnson County prosecutors also charged him Tuesday with aggravated assault and with criminal discharge of a weapon for allegedly shooting at an occupied theater at the Jewish Community Center.

The new charges stem from the April 13 shooting spree that killed Overland Park doctor William Lewis Corporon, 69, his 14-year-old grandson, Reat Griffin Underwood, and Terri LaManno, a 53-year-old Kansas City woman.

Overland Park police arrested Miller, 73, shortly after the shootings. Prosecutors previously charged him with capital murder in the deaths of Corporan and Underwood, who were killed outside the Jewish Community Center, where Reat was auditioning for a talent contest.

They previously charged him with first-degree murder in the death of LaManno, who was shot outside the Village Shalom senior living facility, where she had gone to visit her mother.

Miller is scheduled to appear in court Thursday morning.

Court documents filed Tuesday in Johnson County District Court do not specify where the alleged attempted killings occurred.

In an interview with the Star a few days after the incident, Paul Temme, who is listed as one of the alleged victims, described witnessing the killings of Corporon and his grandson outside the community center.

According to Temme’s account, he ran after the gunman’s car while talking to police dispatchers. When the gunman saw him, Temme said, the gunman fired a shot toward him as he dived to the ground.

As he scrambled to find cover, Temme said, the gunman drove away. Temme said he later talked to two other people who told him they were also fired at outside the community center. Calls seeking comments from those two men named in court documents were not returned Tuesday.

On Tuesday, Temme said it was a “horrifying” thing to witness, and he was fortunate to have escaped injury.

He said he was helped by the outpouring of public support after the incident and hoped that it helped the families of the victims who died.

“The community response was astonishing,” he said.

The woman listed as the victim of the aggravated assault charge declined to comment when reached by phone Tuesday.

Related stories from Wichita Eagle