The preliminary application process for the city’s Section 8 housing program opened on Wednesday when more than 900 people applied.
The application period, which closes at 4 p.m. on Feb. 5, is open 24-hours-a-day online.
The application process is free, said Mary K. Vaughn, director of the City of Wichita Housing and Community Services Department, which administers the program. Applications can be accessed at https:// wichita.apply4housing.com or www.wichita.gov/government/departments/housing .
The online process does not require any documentation. Applicants will be added to the waiting list – in the order received – and they will be called when vouchers become available.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
This is the first time since 2010 that the waiting list has been open, as city officials have worked through a backlog of 4,500 applicants.
Public computers for applications are available at:
• Atwater Neighborhood Resource Center, 2755 E. 19th St. N
• Colvin Neighborhood Resource Center, 2718 S. Roosevelt
• Evergreen Neighborhood Resource Center, 2700 N. Woodland
• All Wichita Public Libraries – A library card is required to use library computers.
The Urban League of Kansas, 2418 E. Ninth:
• Jan. 22-24, 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• Jan. 27-31, 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• Feb. 3-5, 2:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.
TRIO-Educational Opportunity Centers Program:
• WSU Metroplex (29th & Oliver), Entrance N, Room 180
• Jan. 22-24, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Jan. 27-31, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Disabled people who cannot use of a computer should provide the Housing and Community Services with their full name, address, phone number and/or e-mail address. The request may be delivered or mailed to Housing and Community Services Department, 332 N. Riverview, Wichita, KS 67203, or e-mailed to: Communityhousing@wichita.gov