A motion has been filed asking that the latest suspect arrested in the April slaying of a 33-year-old man on North Emporia be prosecuted as an adult, the Sedgwick County District Attorney’s Office said Friday.
The juvenile – among six people accused in the shooting death of Ronald Betts – was booked into Sedgwick County Jail on suspicion of first-degree murder Monday morning. In response to e-mailed questions, D.A. spokesman Dan Dillon said the suspect appeared in juvenile court Tuesday for a detention hearing. He is due back in court Aug. 28 for his initial appearance on a motion for adult prosecution, Dillon said.
Records show the juvenile was 17 when Betts was killed April 18 at an apartment at 446 N. Emporia after three men knocked on the door and were allowed inside. He has since turned 18. He remained in jail Friday without bond.
The five other men charged in the case are Kyle R. Beltz, 21; Kyler W. Carriker, 22; Lorenzo A. Spires, 20; John E. Carter, 18; and Dennis O. Haynes III, 19. Spires last week pleaded guilty to second-degree murder, criminal possession of a firearm and attempted unlawful cultivation or distribution of a controlled substance, according to the D.A.’s office. The others have hearings pending.