Two young children were placed in protective custody by police Monday after one of them drank bleach and emergency responders found deplorable living conditions where the children were, authorities said.
Emergency responders were called to a house near Third and Grove shortly after 7 p.m. Monday after a 2-year-old girl drank bleach from a cup, Lt. Doug Nolte said. The cup was sitting next to a cup of drinking water.
The responders found human feces, trash, significant bug infestation and no running water in the house, so they called for police. The 2-year-old girl and her 1-year-old brother were taken into protective custody.
Seven adults live at the residence, Nolte said, but it was unclear if the parents of the children are among that group.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The 2-year-old was medically cleared by EMS, suffering “no serious injury” from the bleach, Nolte said.
The Wichita-Sedgwick County Exploited and Missing Child Unit was called into the investigation.
“The intent is to get aid to the families, not to necessarily pursue a criminal case,” Nolte said. “We want to get the situation corrected.”