Food left cooking on the stove ignited a small kitchen fire in south Wichita on Sunday afternoon, authorities said.
Firefighters found the fire in the kitchen of the house at 1440 S. Hydraulic when they arrived at the scene at about 1:30 p.m., a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said. The house is near Harry and I-135.
It took crews about an hour to put out the fire, the supervisor said. Five dogs and five cats died in the fire.
The Red Cross was called out to assist the two adults who live at the house. Fire officials at the scene estimated damage to be about $5,000.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.