News

Crews extinguish fire at strip mall eatery New China Buffet at 47th, Broadway

A grease fire that ignited in the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant at 47th Street South and Broadway caused at least $50,000 in estimated damages, a Wichita fire official said Wednesday.

Battalion Chief John Turner said several people called 911 to report the fire at New China Buffet, 4858 S. Broadway, in the center of a strip mall on the southeast corner of the intersection. Fire crews arrived to “a big column of smoke” and flames shooting out of the building’s grease ducts shortly after 4:30 p.m., he said.

Firefighters kept the flames from spreading to neighboring businesses and evacuated about a dozen people – mostly employees – from the restaurant, he said.

The fire was under control in about 15 minutes. No one was hurt, Turner said. The restaurant was open at the time.

“We spent most of our time on the scene removing smoke,” Turner said. “... We’ll be over there throughout the evening checking for hotspots.”

  Comments