Students at Peterson Elementary School received an all-clear to return to classes Tuesday after children in Latchkey were evacuated today due to a gas line leak inside the school.
Wichita school district spokeswoman Susan Arensman said the gas is shut off to the building, “but that won’t really hinder anything.”
Nothing except lunch.
Because the kitchen uses gas to prepare food, boxed lunches will be served rather than the usual hot meal until the leak is repaired, which is expected Tuesday, Arensman said.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
“It’s just a small leak. It will be fixed tomorrow,” she said tonight. Latchkey students and staff were evacuated from Peterson Elementary School this afternoon shortly after 4:30 p.m. after someone noticed a gas odor inside of the building. The school is located at 9710 W. Central.
A Wichita Fire Department crew responded and contacted the gas company to inspect the building after no fire was found inside, a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said.
No injuries were reported.