A cozy Sunday afternoon with the fireplace going turned into far more than that when flames spread to the structural space of the hearth, authorities said.
The fire was reported just before 5:30 p.m. at the Promenade des Jardins complex at 3425 E. English, southeast of Douglas and Hillside, a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said. The fire was quickly extinguished, Fire Capt. Stuart Bevis said, and crews were able to limit the damage to one apartment.
Damage was set at $70,000 to the apartment and its contents. Other than the tenant in the affected apartment, Bevis said, no other people were displaced by the fire.