News

Sedgwick County man hurt in flash fire involving cat

A man suffered possible inhalation injuries today in a home flash fire involving a cat, an official said.

The man’s injuries appeared to be potentially serious.

The 43-year-old man had been cleaning a cooking pan with acetone and left the cleaning agent in a container on a kitchen counter, while he and a 42-year-old woman had an open flame on the stove while preparing a meal, said Sedgwick County Deputy Fire Marshal Greg Harlan. The fire occurred about 3:45 p.m. in the 17000 block of West Maple.

A cat jumped onto the counter, knocking the can of acetone over and resulting in a flash fire apparently ignited by the flame on the stove, Harlan said.

The man suffered possible inhalation injuries while extinguishing the fire, and he was being treated at the St. Francis burn unit, Harlan said. The woman suffered minor injuries.

Damage was estimated at about $2,500.

  Comments