A discarded cigarette started a fire on a balcony that spread inside at the Aragon Apartments in southeast Wichita late Monday night, authorities said.
No injuries were reported, but the fire caused hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage.
The fire call came in at 9:58 p.m. from the apartment complex at 8901 E. Harry, a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said.
Ten Wichita Fire Department units responded to the call and encountered heavy fire in the living area of Apartment 405, Fire Marshal Brad Crisp said. The fire also spread to two adjacent apartments.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The occupant of Apartment 405 reported discarding a cigarette in a bottle he left on the balcony. A short time later, he noticed smoke inside the apartment and discovered fire on the balcony.
Damage was estimated at $300,000 to the structure and $25,000 to contents.