Georgetown defeats Mizzou in OT at Sprint Center

No. 9 Missouri missed three free throws in the final 19 seconds of regulation. No. 16 Georgetown made a last-second 3-pointer that forced overtime.

And the Hoyas owned the extra 5 minutes, rolling to a 111-102 victory over the Tigers before 14,657 at Kansas City’s Sprint Center.

Kansas City guards Marcus Denmon (27 points) and Michael Dixon (17) played standout games.

But so did Georgetown’s Austin Freeman (31 points), Jason Clark (26) and Chris Wright (21).

So it was a point of contention whether Missouri beat itself for the first time in six games, or whether Georgetown was simply the better team at crunch time on the way to 7-0.

Missouri had a chance to put the game away in regulation.

Up 93-89 with 19 seconds to play, Laurence Bowers went to the free throw line for a couple of foul shots. He missed both.

At the other end for Georgetown, Clark made both ends of a one and one, pulling the Hoyas within 93-91 with 14.8 seconds to play.

Georgetown immediately fouled Dixon on the in-bounds pass.

Dixon hit the first of two shots, but the second one rolled off the rim right.

Still, Missouri led 94-91. And when Hollis Thompson missed a 3-point shot with 5 seconds to play, MU’s Kim English grabbed the rebound headed out of bounds under the basket.

English, in an attempt to bounce the ball off a Georgetown player, instead bounced it to the Hoyas’ Clark.

Clark whipped the ball out beyond the 3-point line to Wright, who buried the 3 that tied it 94-94 and forced overtime.

Clark hit a 3 with 3:03 left in the extra period, and then another at 2:14, and Missouri was never in it again.

The took the edge off some first-half controversy.

Despite his Tigers having just knocked 11 points off what had been an 18-point deficit, Missouri coach Mike Anderson was fighting mad as Georgetown walked of the court at halftime with a 54-47 lead.

The subject of Anderson’s ire was a 3-point bomb by Georgetown’s Austin Freeman with 38 seconds left in the opening period.

Anderson insisted the shot clock had run out before Freeman launched from the left of the key at the Spirit Center.

The officials allowed the basic and did not respond to Anderson’s demand to have the game stopped and TV replay examined to determine whether the shot was on time or not.

Anderson was still barking about it as the half ended. But officials gave him no satisfaction then either.

A check of the NCAA rule book revealed the officials ability to review a possible shot clock violation at the end of either half “when there is a reading of zeros on the game clock.”

Similar interpretations can be made at the end of overtime periods “only to determine the outcome of a game.”