News

No charges to be filed in tractor accident that killed 12-year-old

HUTCHINSON— Authorities in Reno County said today that no charges will be filed in a tractor accident that killed a 12-year-old boy earlier this month.

Reno County District Attorney Keith Schroeder said in a news release that the 24-year-old man driving the tractor at the time of the accident was not violating state law.

The accident occurred Sept. 5 on a rural dirt road in Reno County. Four children were riding in the tractor's bucket, another was sitting in the driver's lap and three were riding in a hay trailer. The joystick operating the bucket was accidentally moved and the children sitting inside the bucket were dropped in front of the tractor's wheels.

Schroeder said in his release that the family of the child who died had asked that no charges be filed against the driver of the tractor.

  Comments